About Me

My photo
Admit it. Most nursing bras are kind of industrial-looking. At least that is what I thought when I was shopping around for a nursing bra. I also found that while breastfeeding is natural and wonderful, it is also difficult and complex and sometimes it really hurts! The best advice I could find was to use warm compresses before nursing and cold compresses afterwards. But nobody could give me any tips for how to make the whole compress thing practical or COMFORTABLE! So, my design was patented and Nizo Wear was born. I firgured while I was at it I should make them pretty as well. Nizo Wear makes nursing bras that are de both functional and pretty. Lace and rhinestones, playful prints, shapely lines, all designed to help you feel stylish and good again.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Pacifier restrictions?

I just read this article about hospitals telling new parents not to "Give pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants" because it will "interfere with the development of optimal breastfeeding."

This article hit home with me because I was sent home with a similar message (written in bold print in our parent manual we were instructed to read cover to cover before leaving the hospital). My message also included the use of Nipple Shields. Under no circumstance was I to use a Nipple Shield because it would prevent the proper latch of my son.  Or at least that is what the manual said. Well, it turns out that a Nipple Shield was the only thing that allowed me to continue breastfeeding. It allowed my poor cracked and bleeding nipples to heal all while still nursing.

Thank goodness I had a friend who was a county nurse who supported breastfeeding mothers. She introduced me to the Nipple Shield and she is the reason I was able to continue. Otherwise, I probably would have given up trying to breastfeed after the troubles I was going through.

So, I was really glad to see this article blow that theory out of the water!

How about you? Any similar stories? Did you use a pacifier?  Oddly enough, my son never loved them...

Happy Breastfeeding,
Nicole

Thank you Betsy Shaw from Baby Center for posting this article. http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/03202013pacifier-restriction-not-a-ticket-to-breatfeeding-success/

No comments:

Post a Comment